Sunday, November 16, 2008

Change of Plans

We were putting the last few things in the car when the call came and our plans changed. All the football games were canceled for the day due to the fires that had begun the night before. We turned the television on and watched in shock as we saw fires raging, freeways shut down, homes destroyed and lives shattered. We unloaded the car and moved restlessly about the house, at a loss as to where to go from here. We were scheduled to drive about fifty miles away later that day to attend a wedding but soon received another call, this time from a young anxious bride concerned that we may not have heard about the fires and wanting to make sure we were safe.

Plans can change so suddenly can't they? If you live in Southern California perhaps your plans changed this weekend as well, maybe you even got a call in the middle of the night with the news that you needed to evacuate your house immediately; plans of a good night sleep swiftly changing to an adrenaline pumping drive to safety.

As I prayed this morning for the many people that have been displaced I found myself turning to the pages of a devotional that I was given as a gift just this week (thanks to my sweet friend Susan McCready). It is called Jesus Calling, Enjoying Peace in His Presence and is by author Sarah Young. In the reading for November 16th it says

As you look at the day before you, you see a twisted, complicated path, with branches going off in all directions. You wonder how you can possibly find your way through that maze. Then you remember the One who is with you always, holding you by your right hand. You recall My promise to guide you with My counsel, and you begin to relax. As you look again at the path ahead, you notice that a peaceful fog has settled over is, obscuring the view. You can see only a few steps in front of you, so you turn your attention more fully to Me and begin to enjoy My Presence.

The fog is a protection for you, calling you back into the present moment. Although I inhabit all of space and time, you can communicate with Me only here and now. Someday the fog will no longer be necessary, for you will have learned to keep your focus on Me and on the path just ahead of you. (Psalm 73:23-24, 1 Corinthians 13:12)

What a wonderful reminder and one that I hope encourages you, no matter how your plans changed during this season of your life. I pray that we all learn to lean in to the presence of Our Lord and Savior whether times are foggy from the weather or smoky from a raging fire.

Blessings Dear Ones,
Tracy Klehn

P.S. The WINNER of The One Year Women's Friendship Devotional by Cheri Fuller and Sandra P. Aldrich is KRISTINE WEATHERLY...YAY!!! Thank you to all who entered the contest...I hope to do more give-aways in the months to come!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the book Tracey! It is so fun winning things.

You are an inspiration to me and I think of your words often. I will be sure to enjoy the book and share it with my "daisies".

Blessings to you!