Thursday, February 18, 2010

Grandma Dot's Parenting Advice

My Grandma Dot was a beautiful lady inside and out. She loved the Lord and she loved her family and now, after a valiant battle with Alzheimer's, she is in the presence of both.

As I've sorted through the sentimental photos and papers that she hung onto through the years I found several copies of a single poem. Each copy with tattered edges, I imagine from being read over and over again. As one that was loved and taught by this wonderful woman I can attest to the fact that she did not just read these words but put them into practice. I hope we can all do the same not only for our children but for our grand-children...

If a child lives with criticism, he learns to condemn.

If a child lives with hostility, he learns to fight.

If a child lives with ridicule, he learns to be shy.

If a child lives with shame, he learns to feel guilty.

If a child lives with tolerance, he learns to be patient.

If a child lives with encouragement, he learns to confide.

If a child lives with praise, he learns to appreciate.

If a child lives with fairness, he learns justice.

If a child lives with security, he learns to have faith.

If a child lives with approval, he learns to like himself.

If a child lives with acceptance and friendship, he learns to find love in the world.



Thank you Grandma for all the love and wisdom, I promise to ask the Lord to help me apply your wise counsel.

Blessings to you all this week,
Tracy Klehn