Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Write Away

I started writing in my Bible over a decade ago when speaker/author Becky Tirabassi encouraged me to take time on a daily basis to underline the verses in God's Word (The Bible) that "pop out at me." Since then I have not only highlighted verses I have marked significant dates in the margins, I have also written down short prayers on those sacred pages, and signed names of family and friends next to verses that I was claiming on their behalf.

I've seen numerous benefits come from this act of writing in the Bible and I'm going to briefly highlight three of those today...

1. A Reminder of What God Has Done

In 1 Chronicles 16:12 it reads "Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced, O descendants of Israel his servant, O sons of Jacob, his chosen ones."

I don't know about you but I am pretty darn forgetful, even of the amazing wonders God has done in my life...miracles that I prayed for that He answered. Noting the ways that God has answered a prayer by writing the date and the answer to prayer next to a corresponding verse is an excellent way to "remember." Just think, every time you open the Bible and read that particular page you can offer up yet another prayer of praise and thanksgiving for that answer to prayer and as you do so you will be reminded that the God you serve is FAITHFUL and certainly hears the concerns of you heart each day.

If I turn to Psalm 126 I see written in red ink "Scott and Gabi's verse, she got this verse from God at the beginning of the summer before the transplant. She told Scott 'this is our theme for our summer, and when we look back on this time this is what we'll say'." These words refer to my friend Scott who suffered from Cystic Fibrosis for almost forty years before being completely cured by a double lung transplant. A miracle? Indeed.

2. An Opportunity for God to Speak Again

Writing in your Bible offers you the opportunity for God to speak to you again and again. Sometimes when I'm at church and the Pastor is preaching I'll write what I feel the Spirit is speaking to my heart that day right next to the passage. When I open the Bible at another time and see those words, not only am I reminded of what He spoke to me that day, it offers Him an opportunity to speak again, either expanding on that same theme or showing me how he's changed me or the circumstances since the initial inscription.

As I mentioned in the introduction, I often write down significant dates in my Bible next to corresponding passages. This simple exercise had an amazing impact on me this very week. I received an email reminding me that it was the anniversary of a dear friends passing and inviting me to join a group of friends to go to her graveside. Unfortunately, by the time I read the email my friends were already en route to the cemetery and I was still in my pajamas. I sat down and began journaling and praying about my sweet friend and all that had happened since she died. As I opened my Bible I "happened" to turn to Psalm 62 and saw that I had written my friends name at the top of that page along with the date and time that she died. I had also underlined and circled the following verses next to her name "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge."

3. A Legacy for the Next Generation

Writing your thoughts, prayers and significant dates in your Bible is a gift, a legacy for generations to come. Take a minute to think about something with me...imagine you have passed on and are now living eternally with Jesus. You are no longer with your loved ones here on earth but your Bible remains. Imagine how your children, grand-children, nieces, nephews, friends will feel as they gaze upon their names in your Bible. As they read about all the ways God faithfully answered your prayers. As they see date after date of that which was significant to you. Imagine how the simple act of taking pen to THE page has the potential to bolster the faith of the next generation!

WRITE AWAY Ladies, WRITE AWAY!

Blessings,
Tracy Klehn

P.S. Winner of "Face of Faith" book giveaway is Andrea...Yay!!!

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Mom (Aunt Judy) writes in her bible! She's always telling me how I should write in mine too. She has notes, and dates, etc in hers. I started highlighting, with colored pencil, the verses that pop out at me, but so far that's it!

God Bless,
Andrea (Dee Dee)

Andrea said...

Oh, and by the way, I didn't know which book you were talking about when you asked for my address, Tracey! I was just reading the post and realized it was the "Face of Faith" book! How exciting! You are so sweet!

Dena Dyer said...

My mom always wrote in her Bible, and I do the same. I think it's so neat to see what God has done through the years. He never fails to encourage me through His wonderful words--and through friends like you. :)