Tuesday, October 28, 2008

"Hearing" From God

I recently spoke to a lovely group of Southern California MOPS leaders and within minutes of entering the room met, as Anne of Green Gables used to say, a "Kindred Spirit" (If you have not yet read that classic novel you need to run, not walk, to your local book store or library, pick up a copy and dive in. If you have a daughter over the age of about eight it would make a delightful bonding time should you choose to read it aloud together). After talking for literally, ninety seconds, Bonnie (my MOPS Kindred Spirit) and I decided that we would get in way too much trouble if we spent time much together (picture loud, raucous laughter at rather inappropriate times). At the end of the evening Bonnie shared a story about her children that I felt an urgency to retell. You will soon understand why...

Bonnie has two daughters ages six and four and a son who is a toddler. Recently Bonnie was talking to her oldest daughter whom she described as quite...well...dramatic. She and her daughter were praying together and as they were finishing, Bonnie suggested that they wait silently to see if God had anything to say to them. Within seconds Bonnie's daughter had tears streaming down her cheeks and was yelling "I CAN'T HEAR GOD!!!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT HE SOUNDS LIKE!!! I DON'T KNOW HOW TO HEAR GOD!!!" Bonnie comforted her daughter and they continued their conversation about the many different ways it might be possible to hear from God...for example sometimes we hear from God when we see His creation, like when we are outside and take notice of the stars in the sky, or that sometimes we just sense His presence in the quietness of our heart. As she spoke, her daughters tears dried up and her panic dissipated.

A few nights later as Bonnie was putting her middle child to bed she found herself in "The Stall Tactic" portion of the evening and repeating her usual line of "Listen, we've already sang our song, read our book and said our prayers. It is now your brothers turn to have some time with me." As if on cue to "help" her mother, Bonnie's eldest daughter came storming into the room, placed her hands on her hips and told her younger sister "IF YOU WOULD JUST BE QUIET FOR A MINUTE YOU MIGHT HEAR FROM GOD!!!" after which she turned on her heel and marched out of the room. Apparently Bonnie's little talk about different ways to "Hear from God" had resonated with her eldest!

As my new friend and I laughed about the funny things kids say we also nodded with empathy about their fears, after all, haven't we all wondered if it was possible to "hear from God"? Haven't we all wondered if God cared enough to even speak to us? One of the most life transforming lessons I've ever learned is that God does want to speak to each of us and that one of the main places He will do so is through His Holy Word--The Bible. When I learned this, my prayer life was transformed. I began to go to the Bible more regularly with a sense of expectation...and I was never disappointed. I'd like to encourage you to do the same. Try not to panic (like Bonnie's daughter)...how about we pray instead okay?

Father, thank you for providing me with your Holy voice through the written word of the Bible. Thank you for reminding me in John 10:27 that you have given me the ability to hear you ("My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me"). Please open my Spirit ears to hear you clearly in the days to come and help me teach my children to do the same. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Blessings to you my Sisters,
Tracy Klehn

No comments: