Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thank You for the Mamas

I heard a song recently that touched my heart within the first few words. It is a song called "Yo' Mama" by Nicole C. Mullen (I have included a link at the bottom of this blog for your convenience so that you can listen to a sample and/or purchase the song) and in it, Nicole sings about what a blessing the mother of a friend has been in her life...

your mama so cool like a gentle breeze
blowin' on a summer day
your mama got a way of sayin things
that would chase all my pain away

I remember times she looked me in the eyes
and tell me I could win
'cuz when nobody else would take the time
to care about a broken hearted kid
your mama did


When I think about the words to this song I can't help but think of the "Yo' Mamas" in my life. Women who reached out to me and took the time to get to know me. Women who prayed for me and fed me and showed me with their lives that there is a God and He is loving, faithful and gracious. Women whose names I didn't even know but that blessed me with a smile of understanding when I was in line with a screaming toddler at the grocery store.

Who are the "Mama's" in your life? Who "mothered" you and believed in you when you didn't even believe in yourself? Who has been praying for you through the years? Who encouraged you? Who cared?

Let us not miss this opportunity to pray a prayer of thanksgiving and blessing over them. It doesn't have to be a long drawn out prayer with lots of "thees and thous." In fact, sometimes the most profound prayers simply involve two words..."Thank you." I know this only because that is all I can usually get out when I drive by the street where my grandparents used to live. The Lord used those two people to nurture me in ways that still boggle my mind. My grandma is for sure at the top of my "Yo' Mama" list!

The other thought that stirs in me when I hear this song is that I want to be a mother like that! I want to be an encourager to all of the kids in my life...whether I gave birth to them or not! I want to be available to the Lord to challenge, love and bless kids of all ages. Don't you?

Let's Pray:
Lord God, I thank you for your Word that says "you have given me an instructed tongue to know the word that sustains the weary." (Isaiah 50:4) I ask you to open my Spirit eyes right now and from now on, to see those that could use a "Word to sustain the weary." Help me to be a blessing to kids of all ages. Help me through the power of the Holy Spirit to know what to do for your children...whether it's a hug, a meal, a prayer or a "vote of confidence." Most of all Lord, I pray that you would help me to point them to you through my actions and my words. You are their Provider and you love them in ways I can only imagine. To God be all the Glory! In Jesus' name, Amen.

http://nicolecmullen.com/audio.html

2 comments:

Andrea White said...

Yo Mama! You ARE that mom! I'll never forget the time we were leaving the pizza place. Brady had won a very special necklace (or was it a bracelet?) from a machine. We were in the car and Brady was looking at his prize. then he said, "I am giving this to my biggest fan." I started to sit up a little taller and smiled as I waited for my present. You were walking by the car and Brady rolled the window down and yealled to you, "Hey Auntie, I have something for you." Believe it or now, I didn't feel rejection. I felt elation as my son sees your heart and feels your love for him. He loves you so much. Yo mama, so do I!!! Ang

...................................................................... said...

You made me cry!
I love you and I love Brady...(and Brev. and Jules).