Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thoughts Amidst Wadded up Kleenex

Today I am "under the weather" or perhaps I should say "down for the count"? Whatever you want to call it...I have Vick's Vapor Rub smeared under my chin, wadded up Kleenex strewn about my legs, my hair looks like something from the eighties (pictured teased, messy with half a can of Aqua-Net--the fuchsia can of course) and my left eye will only open about halfway due to the swelling of my sinuses. I know you want to come over right now and hang out with me right?

So...on a day like today I am sitting on my couch and watching the movie I watch whenever it is autumn and I am feeling less than "springy." I am watching You Got Mail for the umpteenth time. What movie do you watch when you get sick? Do you have a favorite "feel better" movie? My friend Melissa just told me that Sound of Music is her "feeling sick selection" and that when Julie Andrews starts running up that hill she always bursts into tears and knows "Everything is going to be okay."

ANYWAY...I am digressing, which I will blame on the sinus infection. While I was sitting amidst my wadded up Kleenex and watching my "feel better movie" I was struck by a tiny little scene that I don't know that I paid much attention to before. Meg Ryan's character has just discovered that the chain book store is moving in around the corner and could possibly pose a huge threat to the business of her quaint little "Shop Around the Corner." So she sits at her computer and types her contemplations...

Sometimes I wonder about my life.
I lead a small life, well, valuable but small.
And, sometimes I wonder...
Do I do it because I like it or because I haven't been brave?
So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book when...
Shouldn't it be the other way around?


What are your thoughts? Do you see your life as small? Valuable?
I don't have answers for you today...just the question...

I do feel grateful today. Do you mind if I take a moment to tell you why?
I feel grateful that I have a home to live in and a couch to curl up on when I am sick.
I feel grateful that I have a husband who is willing to pick the kids up from school today and cart them to football and cheer leading so I can get better.
I feel grateful that my husband has a job that provides us with health insurance so that I can get some medicine to speed up this recovery.
I feel grateful that I do not have to "perform" to be loved...that Christ loves me just as I am...Vick's Vapor Rub and all...and whether I am living large or small! I am valuable to Him and you are too.

Blessings dear ones...I'd hug you but wouldn't want to contaminate you with my germs!
Tracy Klehn

No comments: